Home/COACHING/10 IMPORTANT COACHING TIPS
10 IMPORTANT COACHING TIPS 2013-11-30T14:26:39+00:00

Home Forums COACHING 10 IMPORTANT COACHING TIPS

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

10 IMPORTANT COACHING TIPS

By Rob Smith

Below are 10 principles that have helped me and my players move in a positive direction over the last 15 years.  Many details on this list, I have borrowed from other great coaches out there, and some I’ve learned from personal coaching experience.

1. Be Organized!  Develop a coaching mission statement. Also develop a set of yearly objectives for your season. List and distribute simple team rules as well. Have a written plan of what you are going to do at every practice. Remember if you fail to plan you plan to fail.
    2. Define the responsibilities of the coach and the player. The coach’s main responsibility is to provide the players information and the proper environment to enjoy the learning process that the game provides. The player’s responsibility is to practice hard, improve and repeat the actions the coach is teaching.
    3. Make the players take ownership and be responsible for taking part in their own learning. A coach can only hit players so many groundballs/fly balls and throw so much BP. Even though it may be a little slow going at first, teach and demand that the players assume some of the burden. Who knows, maybe then they may do more on  their own when practice is not scheduled.
    4. John Wooden said “ I want no activity without achievement ! “  This means you want your drills to result into positive skill improvement. There are a lot of drills that teams do that are just busy work. Get back to what matters.
    5. Constantly self evaluate and answer this question “ Could I and would I want to play for me? “
    6. Baseball and Softball should be fun! The environment we create should be one where we all derive some level of enjoyment. That is why we do this. Remember, however, that the game should be Fun, not funny!  There is no room for the silly stuff. The fun comes from improving oneself and winning as a team.
    7. Keep expanding the base of your knowledge. Read, watch, listen, go to clinics and keep a constant flow of new information coming your way.
    8. Judge a practice, game and season by how close you came to doing your best. You may have had some of your greatest coaching seasons with a sub .500 record.
    9. You the coach are on a solo mission. The players/parents that play the most will probably like you. The ones that play less probably will not. That is just the way it is. We must continue to make decisions on how to improve as a team and then how individuals can improve.
    10. Above all else, coaching gives us a platform to teach and exercise positive values thus giving us the opportunity to make the world better.

SBA-logo-EPS-100-Tall

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.